POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : height_field crashes povwin 3.1g : Re: height_field crashes povwin 3.1g Server Time
8 Jun 2024 15:42:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: height_field crashes povwin 3.1g
From: Ron Parker
Date: 7 Aug 1999 20:04:37
Message: <37acc879.22494197@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 07 Aug 1999 17:37:53 +0200, Peter Santo
<san### [at] poolinformatikrwth-aachende> wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I have a reduced scene containing a height_field that would cause povwin
>to crash (so I suppose, it's a bug).
>
>I strongly suspect a division by zero error in the height_field code,
>since the error can be avoided if you slightly change the perspective or
>use Jitter when antialiasing output.
>
>My setup:
>Official Version 3.1g.watcom.win32
>Win98 de 4.10.1998
>Pentium II 300 MHz
>64 MB RAM

I get this too.  As near as I can tell, it's crashing when the
intersection exactly hits the very edge of a triangle on the
edge of the heightfield.  The line it crashes on says

      y3 = Get_Height(px,   pz+1, HField);

pz is 159, and HField->Data->max_z is 158.  Not a pretty picture.
I'm not sure what can be done about this, unfortunately, unless it's
to subtract epsilon before rounding down to get pz.  Perhaps someone
else has an idea.